| A Brief History of|
Wolf Point, Montana
The history of the Wolf Point area goes back many years to when a traveler on the river, in 1842, noted in his journals the many wolves sighted near old Wolf Point. Several fur trading forts were operated in the area by the American Fur Company. One was Fort Charles, located near the present site of the Missouri River Bridge. Other sites have been discovered, but the names are unknown. In the 1860's and 1870's when the river steamboat was the principle mode of travel, Wolf Point was a refueling point as well as an Indian trading post. During the 1870's Winter trappers stacked their wolf hides along the river to wait for spring and for the steamboats to transport their cargo to markets in the East. The name "Wolf Point" was here to stay.
The little trading post grew into a small hamlet of several hundred in population. The railroad came to the area in the late 1880's and soon the romantic river boats were gone forever. In 1912, the Fort Peck Indian Reservation was opened to homesteaders and the town of Wolf Point moved from the river bank to the railroad, about one mile North. Today, the town has grown into a modern shopping center and is known throughout the United States for its "Wild Horse Stampede". The stampede is Montana's oldest and best rodeo and is held during the second weekend of July each year.